My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Have Been Taken Back In Time...


















Sometimes we have our memories jogged by our senses, like smelling an old after shave you haven't smelled in a very long time, and knowing exactly who wore it; or smelling freshly baked cookies and visualizing your mom just taking a sheet of chocolate chip cookies out of the oven and she taps your hand as you reach for one and says, "let them cool off first!"; or the sight of a place visited long ago and you can remember who you were there with and it only seems like yesterday.

I had my memory jogged just this past week, when an old friend of the Hendersons answered my "hello" on facebook and brought me up to date with the happenings in his life. That old friend is Dean Grow, who still lives in southern California, has a pretty new wife (of 12 years) and brought me up to date with his family. He also sent me pictures from Rowland Heights days. When I got them, I literally cried as I remembered the trip he and his (then) wife, Connie and Gerry and I made to Lake Tahoe for some summer fun in the sun in the mountains. Oh, we had a grand time there. We went to see Johnny Mathis at Harrah's in Tahoe and the opening act for that show was a brand new comedian just getting a start by the name of Jay Leno. Those few pictures brought back such wonderful memories of some "good old days."

Those days are gone forever, and some of what transpired after that was not so happy, but we can remember happy times and be grateful for them. I thanked Dean for the picture of Gerry and I and Connie. I don't have many pictures left of Gerry, and this is a good one.

2 comments:

Kim Messick said...

Wow! I hardly recognized who was in those pictures. I had to read your memory first to really see it! I DO remember them! So funny how things happen to jog our memories!
Love you,

Heather said...

Those pictures made me laugh out loud!!! The 70's were great weren't they? ahahahaha! But they also made me cry a little too. Daddy's birthday came and went and I still miss him, after all these years. These pictures were our glory days as a family, things were never the same after that. I'm glad he sent them to you too....we need all the pictures of dad that we can get. Love ya mom!