My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Solvang Danish Days...75 Years...


Saturday morning, September 17, 2011. It's the Danish Days celebration! Not only is it the 100th Birthday Celebration of the town of Solvang, but they are also celebrating the 75th year of the Danish Days Celebration. Let the fun begin!

My good friend, Joan (Tommasino) Trent and her husband Bruce, met us at our Time Share early in the morning. They drove all the way from West Hills in the San Fernando Valley to join us for the day and the celebrations. I've known Joan since I was three years old and we have been friends ever since.


The first event of the day was breakfast! And what would a traditional Danish breakfast be without Aebleskivers and sausage! Ah! You're asking what are aebleskivers? They are the most delicious little round pancakes served with rasperry syrup! Delicious. Traditionally, they are made with apples or applesauce (hence the name "aeble") inside each ball, but that is tedious work, and I'm sure when they are served by the thousands, a bit too time consuming.

The first thing Joan wanted after breakfast was a candied apple. So off to the shop we went and made our purchase, and enjoyed them emensely.


With full tummies, we walked around the town to enjoy the festivities. Thre was a young man there carving wood with a chain saw. He was making the most unbelievable pieces imaginable. I particularly loved the bench with a horse's head on each end. I could just see it on Mark's ranch. But, alas, $500.00 was a bit of a stiff price for me to pay, and besides, how on earth would I have gotten it on the airplane?

While we were engrossed with the wood carving, the beginning of the parade came by. We stopped what we were doing and enjoyed the festivities. It was a wonderful parade, reminiscent of the ones in my home town of Santa Monica, when I was growing up.


After the parade, we wandered through the town and looked at all of the displays and enjoyed the festivities. We wandered into the Viking Village and enjoyed learning about what it was like to live in the time of the Vikings. It was very educational.



Anyone for lunch? That was another Danish treat. We thoroughly enjoyed our little Danish open-faced sandwiches...one with chicken and one with beef. They were delicious.

After lunch, we enjoyed a liesurely walk to the museum to learn more about this quaint little town. The first thing we were treated to was another story-telling time by Hans Christian Anderson. He was amazing with the little children and kept that Danish accent throughout his presentation. We really enjoyed him and his program.


Do you think it was a full enough day? Oh, my! Everywhere we turned, we found something else to do. But, these old folks were tired after the museum (where Dean tried his hand at lace making and it intrigued me so much, that I vowed that I was going to learn, too!), that we just wandered back to our Time Share, relaxed a bit in our homey atmosphere and then said good-bye (or should I say, "so long just for now") to our dear friends. It has been a very long, but thoroughly enjoyable day!

1 comment: