My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Friday, May 10, 2013

Cinco de Mayo...



I know, I know, I know...Cinco de Mayo fell on a Sunday, and we shouldn't have had any fun...but...we did go to church and after church enjoyed some of the most amazing activities I have ever seen.  (And that includes all of my growing up years in Southern California, where Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in big ways.)

We saw a Mariachi Band that entertained at the local Mexican Restaurant.  They were outstanding and, as always, so friendly with the audience.  I love their joyous spirit.

Performing at our local Cultural Center, was the Charro Horsemanship show.  I wasn't prepared for what I saw these amazing and beautiful horses do.  They paraded with heads and tails high, they danced and they all looked as though they absolutely loved it..

Mr. Jose Solano brought this wonderful entertainment to us.  And we learned about the Cinco de Mayo history.  It is a celebration (mostly in the west) "to honor Mexican heritage and the contributions of the Mexican-American community." " Historically it celebrates the Battle of Puebla of May 5, 1862, in which the Mexicans defeated a larger French army."  (From an article in the Today publication in Lincoln City.)

The horses ridden by the Mexican cowboys were "Andalusian, Friesian and Azteca horses that perform intricate dances and movements."  "The Andalusian horses are of the same stock as the famed Lippizzaner stallions of Vienna, and all are descendants of horses from the renowned Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain."  (Same article.)

We found the horses astounding and the movements sometimes unbelievable.  I have never seen a horse "tap dance" before.  But these did, on a wooden stage!  Mark and Terrie, you would have loved these horses.  They were truly amazing!

After the horse show, we ventured inside for a delightful display of color as the Papalotl Mexican folk dance company of Kenya Marquez performed for us.  We were treated with a variety of dances...some of them familiar to me as the dances I learned when I was a young girl.  It was thoroughly enjoyable.

All in all, it was a festival to remember.  And to top off the entertainment, we ate authentic Mexican Street Tacos from the booth provided for the crowds.  Yum.  They are my favorites!  Piled high with beans and pork and tomatoes and lettuce and cheese and lots of homemade salsa.

It was a good day.  Next year, it won't be on Sunday, so I won't have to feel guilty for attending.

Hola!  Viva la Mexico!  Viva la America!

No comments: