My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Profound Teacher and Influence In My Life...

Robert C. Crawford
10/19/11 - 12/14/94
There are only a handful of people in my life who have influenced my thought processes, challenged my determination to make something of myself, contributed to the shaping of my character, and who taught me how to think.  One of those was my high school math teacher, Mr. Robert C. Crawford, or "Uncle Fudd," as he liked us to call him.

To many he could be intimidating.  But, not to me.  He would challenge them in class, in front of everybody, to answer a stated math problem before he snapped his fingers.  I found him to be someone whom I wanted to emulate and would meet his challenges head on.  He taught me the art of adding a column of numbers quickly, never questioning my results, and keeping the information in my head.  He quoted often, "If it doesn't kill you, it can't hurt you."

Mr. Crawford called on me a lot, and one afternoon, after class, he called me to his desk.  "Florene," he said, "do you know why I 'pick' on you in class?  It is because you have a very high IQ and I want you to rise up to meet it.  I know you can do the work, and so I challenge you."  I have never forgotten that.  I knew there was a reason why I liked and respected this teacher.  He did the homework on each and every student in his classes.  He knew where you were born.  He knew who our parents were.  And he knew our IQ.

From that day forward, Mr. Crawford would call on me using a pet name he had coined, like: "Cedar City" (the city where I was born), or "Pickle Bill's" (the name of my dad's restaurant).  That always brought a smile to my face.  Only he and I knew the meaning!  I found out that he loved the big dill pickles from Pickle Bill's...and that he ate there often.  So, whenever I thought about it, I would bring him one!  He loved that.

Throughout my life, whenever I am faced with another challenge, I remember Mr. Crawford and his respect and confidence in me, and I say to myself, 'you can to this!  Mr. Crawford said you could!'.  He was good to keep up with my life, mostly because I sent Christmas Cards every year to he and his wife, Natalie.  I will never forget the phone call that I received in June of 1989, when my dad was killed.  It was Mr. Crawford on the line.  He comforted me and told me how sorry he was to hear the news.  He and my dad were friends in Santa Monica and he had a great deal of respect for him.  And then, a few years later, I learned that Mr. Crawford lost his battle with Cancer on December 14, 1994.  I had never lost track of him, and when I received the news, I sent his wife a condolence card.  Natalie and I still keep in touch.  In fact, I last saw her at my class reunion 2 years ago and we hugged and shared our stories of what was going on in our lives.  It was a good reunion, with many tears shed.



The biggest influence in my life is my Savior.  Venture to say, He is the most influential person I have ever invited into my life...however, it took me longer to find Him than it did to find Mr. Crawford.

I was converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ as a teen-ager, but my life's journey took many turns and detours getting me to where I am today.  I was truly converted to Jesus Christ, as my Savior, and the fact that He has Atoned for my sins over and over again.  He rescued me from near self-destruction in 1975.  And when I opened that door that He had been knocking on for decades, my entire life took a new turn.

Once on the path of repentance, throwing away the old "me" and taking up the new "me," I was able to study the scriptures, where I found my Savior with new vigor, enthusiasm, and understanding.  Getting to know my Savior has been the greatest gift I could have ever have given myself.  I know that He is there for me...all I have to do is ask!  I know He outlined a perfect plan in the scriptures...all I have to do is read (and ponder and study)!  I know that He knows my life from beginning to end...all I have to do is trust!  And, when all is said and done, when I come to the end of my journey, I know that my Savior will be there to meet me...all I have to do is wait!

Yes, we are touched by special people in our lives.  And some of them remain with us forever.  Thank you, Mr. Crawford for all that you taught me.  Thank you for showing a shy high-schooler that there are people out there who see your worth.  And thanks be to my Savior for the Atonement.  Thanks for the scriptures that testify of you.  And thank you for getting me through the many difficult seasons of my life.

My Lord and Savior
                                     

No comments: