My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Music...


One of the best traditions in the Mickelson household during the Holiday Season, is participating is the various musical productions in our community.  It has been our experience, no matter where we go or wherever we live, that we have sought out opportunities to express ourselves through music.

Music is the one thing in our lives that we have in common.  Both Dean and I were raised with music in our homes.  We both had piano lessons as young children, and we both moved on to other expressions of our musical gifts.  Dean learned to play the trumpet as a youth and still picks it up nearly daily to practice.  He also loves to sing.  I have tried other instruments, but the piano is the one that brings me the most comfort.

And then there is the music of the voice.  I have sung in choirs, in small singing groups like trios and quartets, and I learned at an early age that I could also sing solos.  Dean has sung in many choirs and choruses throughout his life, has done a fair number of solos, and we like to sing duets together on occasion.

This past Christmas Season found the two of us participating in several musical events.  In fact, it has become a Christmas Tradition for us.  The Messiah comes around every two years, and offers an opportunity to vocalize with some really talented people from up and down the central coast of Oregon.  We began the weekly rehearsals in early October, but this year there was a new conductor.  He is young and exuberant and a talented musician in his own right, but he does not have the heart for the production that Dr. Albert Thompson had.  After only a few rehearsals, both Dean and I dropped out.  It just wasn't going as it had in the past.  We also quit because we just had too much on our plates this year.


Every year also presents an opportunity to participate in the Lincoln City Community Chorus under the direction of a very gifted director, Jim Friesen.  We rehearsed weekly and the music chosen for the Christmas Program was extra special this year.  Dean also was afforded the opportunity to play in a Brass group for some of the songs.  And for the very first time, this year's chorus had a visiting Hand Bell Choir participate.  It was glorious.

Last, but not least, as Choir Director for my Church, I wrote and put together our annual Christmas Choir presentation for Sacrament Meeting.  This was my second year.  I chose music that was quite challenging for the choir, but they took the challenge and performed beautifully.  It was a very special meeting, indeed.


Our son, Billy, also had his share of Christmas shows to perform.  He was asked to play some meditative music for The Labyrinth at the Cultural Center.  He played his cello for three hours, non-stop while many people, old and young alike, walked the path of the Labyrinth and meditated.  Dean and I participated and felt a very special contact with our inner selves.  For Billy's Christmas show, he took his music to Bend, where it all began, and in his words, "had a very special show."

It is my prayer that music will continue to fill our hearts, our lives and our home.  I love the uplifting feeling that good, quality music brings to my soul.  I know there will be music in Heaven, and I want to participate in the heavenly choir.

No comments: