My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

I Am A Child of God...


From the time of my childhood, fair play has played a huge part of my life.  It wasn't until I was in my teens that I learned that there are a few folks out there who don't play fair.  And, I am ashamed to admit, I sometimes followed their example.  I know that I have been guilty of hurting feelings from time to time because I just didn't put the breaks on m,y mouth and I said whatever came into my head.  Sometimes, I just wanted to get even!  I am not proud of my actions.  I am not pleased with the young woman that I became.

And then, I met Jesus.  He turned my life around.  How did I meet him, you ask?  Through reading Scriptures.  I have read the Bible through once, and studied it over the years in classes taught by inspired instructors.  I found Jesus in the Scriptures.

I have also read The Book of Mormon...probably 20 times over my lifetime and alsi studied it with instructors who edified what I found there.  And what did I find?  I found Jesus.

Jesus saved my life.  He saved my soul.  The more I read, the more I found the amazing reality of His Atonement.  He went through all of that agony not only for me, but He suffered all of your pains as well.

Why am I writing about this today?  Because I have had two experiences recently which have brought the teachings of the Scriptures and more importantly, of Jesus Christ to the forefront.  Someone very near and dear to me is suffering very deeply with the choice of going through a very severe repentance process.  I told this friend of my own experience nearly 50 years ago when I walked that very same path.  No!  It is not easy.  It wasn't meant to be easy.  But what I learned from my experience was that it is better to go through the pain and suffering of deep, brokenhearted repentance now than have to go through far worse pains in the hereafter, risking your eternal reward.

My son called me this morning and was distraught with events in his new little family that are causing him great concern.  With Dean on the phone, we all talked and tried to come to some fair conclusions.  While on the phone, Billy confided in us of a dream he had last night which involved Jesus Christ as our Savior, the long, straight and narrow path, the iron rod and the filthy pit of fire and brimstone beside the path.  He said he saw a devil-like (even Hitler-like) figure rise out os the pit spewing fire from his eye.  He said it was Donald Trump and he feared for the fate of our country if he should become President!

I reminded him to keep his focus on the goal at the end of that path...the Tree of Life (God's Love) and eternal life.  This life is but a moment and our focus must be always on our goal.  I love my son and am so proud of him remembering his teachings from Seminary.  He, too, has read his Scriptures.  And I love his beautiful wife and her two beautiful daughters.  They are teaching me that even though we don't share the same faith, we share some of the same beliefs and goals.

This has been both an amazing day and a day of prayer.  May the Good Lord keep these great souls closely enfolded within His arms.  Lead them upon the right paths and bring them home to Him.

How very grateful I am for the teachings of my youth and for those who ingrained those messages into my very core.



No comments: