My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Words...


The sharpest weapon in the world is the tongue.  And related to it is the pen.  Think of those two weapons and what flows off of them both?  Words!

I remember as a child being the recipient of words that hurt!  Teasing words, unkind words, sharp words, degrading words...all meant to torment a child who did not understand.  My mother taught me a little saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me!"  I tried to use that phrase over and over again, but in the end, it just wasn't true.  Words did hurt me!  And I cried a lot because I didn't think anybody liked me.

I grew up with a soft heart, easily crushed, but eventually I learned to toughen my skin so the barbs couldn't get through.  My first husband taught me that.  And I ask myself a lot, "What would Jesus do?"

How many of us have heard "a discouraging word" at any time in our lives?  I know I have ~ and some of my family members have.  How many of us have used these same words, or others to discourage others?

Words can be either uplifting or they can tear down.  They are the building blocks of our language.  Since our language was a God-given gift to mankind it behooves us to use it carefully.

God's words are not discouraging words.  His words are a guide for us, from a foundation of love, and are found in His Holy Scriptures.   It is there that I turn to read His words when I need answers to daily struggles.  And it is there that I turn to read the words that tell of the holiest of events ever to transpire upon the face of the earth ~ the Birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

What were the words used there to tell mankind about the coming of His Son to the earth?  They were kind words.  Words of promise that invited the spirit to feel peace.  The Lord proclaimed these words through many Prophets many hundreds of years before the Holy Babe was born.

Isaiah was one of those Prophets.  "...Behold a Virgin shal conceive, and bare a Son, and shall call His name Emmanuel (Hebrew for 'with us is God')."  (Isaiah 7:14.). The most beautiful, peaceful words I have ever read!  He was the promised Messiah...born a babe, but he would grow up to be a man.  And it was this man, our Savior, Jesus Christ, who spoke some other beautiful words.  He gave us a new commandment: to "Love the Lord our God with all our hearts, mind and strength."  And a second commandment, like the first, to "love our neighbors as ourselves."

Our words should always be spoken with that love.  Our words should also be written with that love.  I am a clumsy speaker because sometimes I feel things that are not in tune with the spirit and I want to say the right things, but quite often they come out wrong and I am misunderstood.  In most of those cases, I choose to remain silent and wait for those feelings to pass.  But, in other times, I do speak out with heightened emotions, and I am immediately sorry for opening my mouth to speak.  I am deeply sorry if anyone has been the recipient of my clumsy speech.

Let us all remember that there is a time to speak and there is a time to be silent.  And more importantly, let your speech be filled with love for one another.  This should be our challenge for this New Year of 2020.  Love one another and treat one another with kindness...even if it means to bite your tongue!

1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello sister Florence(Lori). I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in being Nurse. I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog post on "Words". The reminder is very necessary for us to use words that would encourage others and not crushed. The Words of God are example for us to follow. Thank you for very encouraging blog post. I have recently preached in my church on the same topic. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. we reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you and your husband come to Mumbai or encoruage your adult children to come to Mumbai during their vacation time to work with us during their vacation time. I AM SURE it will be a life changing experience. Since you are a Nurse your coming will bring spiritual and physical healing to the people in the slums who are inflected with different kinds of diseases due to unhygenic conditions. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you and your family a blessed and a Christ centered New year 2020. My email id is:dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.