My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Journey Memories

Today I was reminded of my many travels through life and the roads upon which I have traveled. With our recent move to Lincoln City, Oregon, I counted up ALL of the moves in my life and this one is number THIRTY! Oh my! So many boxes to pack and unpack! So many miles traveled in so many different cars. Each and every move brought trials, new friends, growth, joy and sometimes sorrow. As I reflect on the sum of all of our movei, my mind's eye has so many visions of the individual moves. I shall make an attempt to share some of them here.

When I graduated from High School in June of 1957, I had no idea where this road was going to take me. This was to be my first move away from the home of my youth -- Santa Monica, California. At the outset, I only knew that in Provo, Utah my quest was for education. My father was raised in an era where the belief that education for women was to be had only in a home as a wife and a mother. For a while, I was thinking that perhaps he was right. Maybe I should stay home and just find a job and a husband. In the end, he agreed, even though he really didn't understand why a girl needed to go to College. He did agree that I was bright and needed to broaden my horizons and so he consented to only one year at B.Y.U. I had a strong background in Mathamatics, but chose to pursue a Business Major, with an emphasis on learning to be a Secretary (which was an acceptable career for a woman in the 50's.)

If any of us had known that that particular journey would have brought the greatest joy I could imagine in my life, none of us would have hesitated to pursue it. The Lord works in interesting ways to bring about His plans for our lives, and so began the first leg of my newfound journey that took me to Provo, Utah at the young age of 17. It was there that I met my future Eternal Companion, Gerry Henderson, just 3 days after my 18th Birthday, September 30, 1957.

To be continued.....

1 comment:

Heather said...

Love the stories mom, keep them coming! Can't wait to see you in a couple days!