My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Monday, December 2, 2019

Thankful...



Thursday, November 28, 2019, Dean and I gathered in Phoenix, AZ at the home of one of my best friends from childhood, Suzanne Gallo and her husband, Lew for a "Friends" Thanksgiving celebration.  We were joined by another friend from Santa Monica, Ginger (O'Bannion) Caban and her husband, Sam.  Suzanne and I go back to our early dancing days with our teacher, her Auntie, Mahri.  She lived practically next door to us on Ashland Avenue.  Gionger and I were acquaintances in High School, but she was mostly Suzanne's friend.

Ginger and Sam Caban
We learned that the 6 of us have much in common, even though we are all of different faiths and different backgrounds...yet we found we have much more in common.  We shared a delicious meal (provided by Suzanne's cousin, Tanya, who couldn't be there because her mother was ill).  The table was beautifully set by Suzanne and she and Lew were the perfect hosts.

We caught up with stories of what we have been doing since High School, laughed until we cried or couldn't catch our breath, played "Prescottopoly." and just thoroughly enjoyed each other's company.  We found that we could laugh at our "old age"...a place we never thought we would ever be...like turning words around in a sentence, not hearing what another one said and trying to repeat it back to them and got it completely wrong, or not being able to see the writing on the board game and moving someone else's piece.  It was all great fun!  I haven't been able able to let go and laugh like that in years.

Early in the day, Dean learned that his Uncle, Art, had passed away in Illinois.  He spent much of the morning on the phone with cousins and family.  That was a sad thing for him.  Art was 93 and had suffered a stroke recently.

And then, my husband went into a full blown Asthma attack, triggered either by the dogs or the dust blowing around outside through the open window.  At any rate, we had to rush him to the Emergency room for nebulizer treatments and medications.  He turned around within. a few minutes and then he was able to breath normally and relax again.  When we got back, we had a slumber party, sitting around the living room and talking until 1:00 AM!

We woke up to a nice breakfast and then lunch of leftovers and just enjoyed each other's company.  Sam helped Lew fix the dishwasher that wasn't working; Suzanne stood, and with tears in her eyes, told us all just how thankful she was to have us there with them;  and then we drove home to a half inch of snow!  What a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration.  I can't think of anything better than celebrating and giving thanks than doing it with friends or family...or sometimes both.


I am so thankful for my friends.  I am thankful for my family, who had their own celebrations with their own families.  I am thankful for my husband who puts up with me and supports me and loves me and does these amazing things with me.  I am thankful that he received the treatment he needed to get him over the hump with his Asthma attack.  I am thankful for Emergency Room personnel who give up their Thanksgiving celebrations to work and be available for such emergencies.  I am thankful for the love that brings families and friends together.  I am thankful for family memories that keep loved ones close in our hearts.  Dean had some wonderful memories of his Uncle Art.

No comments: