My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Plus One!


I don't know about the rest of you, but Mother's Day always brings a flood of tears my way. First, because I have 6 of the most precious children on the planet who always manage to say just the right thing to make me cry; and second, as I remember my own sweet mother who gave me life and taught me to be the best person that I know how to be and thoughtful of others -- as much by her example as by her actual teaching methods. And I remember that it was on Mother's Day seven years ago, that a loving father sent the angels to bring his daughter home. I shall never forget that day, either.
And so, with mop in hand, I shed my grateful tears and gives thanks for all that my Father in Heaven has blessed me with. Motherhood, the ultimate partnership with God, has been by far my greatest blessing. And I sat down and composed a little poem about blessings. It's not great, but it is from the heart. I call it "The Counting House."

There are treasures in my counting house, not silver, not gold, not diamonds.
The doors are never locked, the light is always on, and the treasures eternally multiply.

The treasures are my blessings -- I count them every day.
Their worth to me is endless, and undeserved, I say.
The shelves are spilling over with blessings great and small.
Though sometimes overwhelming, I take my time, and count them all.

There's sunshine after a rainy day, and rain to bless the earth.
There's mountains tall and oceans deep, and these bless me with all their worth.
There's health and strength and a good, sharp mind.
There's a roof overhead and a nice warm bed, and greater riches to find.

There's a mother to teach me and a father to strengthen me;
There's a brother to test me and two sisters to love.
There's a husband to love me, friends to cheer me, co-workers to guide me,
And children -- ah, yes, there are children -- my treasures from above.

My count is far from over, for blessings never end;
But to list them all would fill a book,
So I shall just continue counting forever in my head.

I pray everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day and were as blessed as I was.

5 comments:

Kim Messick said...

You are a treasure! I love you Mom!

Anonymous said...

My oh my, it's been six months since I left a message for you. But I had a good excuse for the past 3 or 4 months with that darn stroke, and going through therapy, along with a ton of doctor appointments. I'm very lucky to be functioning again, and am back to 95% well again!

So, Happy Mother's Day, too--hope you had an enjoyable time.

Bracken and Bracken said...

Don't forget to count your many talents :) Love you!!

Aubrey Messick said...

Love love love you Grandma! I was thinking of you yesterday! :)

Heather said...

I love you mom, with all my heart. You've taught me more than you'll ever know and I will be eternally grateful for the blessing of being your daughter.