My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Is Your Glass Half Full or Half Empty?


I once knew a dear, sweet lady somewhere in my past who was badly crippled with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Every day was another day of excruciating pain just as it had been the day before, and just as it would be the following day. And yet, I never once heard her complain or saw anything but a broad welcome smile on her sweet round face.

She would say that her glass was more than half full of great blessings and the empty half was reserved for blessings yet to come. She was a marvel to me. Her positive attitude and her ability to take whatever challenges life brought to her as easily as she would receive a beautifully wrapped gift from someone special in her life was beyond understanding. Her wisdom and courage was an example to me.

Over the years, I have tried to emulate this lady, but, alas, I fear I have fallen far short of that goal on more than one occasion. I have allowed worldly woes to fill the empty void in my glass and threaten to turn the filled part into "murky forgotten blessings." I have oftimes failed to see my half full blessings.

My life is fractured in so many directions, that it is no wonder that I can't excell at any one thing. I am so involved with my work (it consumes me sometimes), my family (near and far), my home and the management of so many facets of its survival, my writing of written words and music, my newly found love for piano lessons, my participation in the community with choral groups and Church music that I begin to wonder, "Where in all of this chaos is there time for my creative side?" Things that I used to love to do, like scrapbooking, reading, sewing, quilting have all taken a backseat to everyday living.

And, "Where is my time for self?"

And then I stop, look at my glass, start counting my blessings again and again, and I remember that beautiful bent lady of my past and my glass is transformed into something beautiful.



I pray this Thanksgiving day will find you all praising God and giving thanks for each and every blessing that fills your glass.

Always remember this little quote that I received recently in these "Thanksgiving thoughts: Happy moments, PRAISE GOD; Difficult moments, SEEK GOD; Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD; Fearful moments, TRUST GOD; and Every moment, THANK GOD."



Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

1 comment:

Kim Messick said...

That was absolutely beautiful! You are such a gifted and talented writer and musician! You have so many blessings!
I too, feel so grateful to be so blessed in my life! My biggest blessing this year is that Aubrey fell in love! I couldn't feel more blessed.
Love you Mom
And never stop writing!!!