My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Friday, August 23, 2013

Hiking to Cascade Head...


Living on the coast has so many benefits.  One of my favorites is the beauty of the forests and the ocean and the myriad of hiking trails that lead to beautiful views.

I went on a hike the other day with the Young Women and Young Men from our church.  Their leaders were also there.  I'm not a spring chick any more, and they knew I could handle this hike.  And, except for a brief asthma attack when I reached the top, I did handle it.

We walked through the woods on a clear, though sometimes muddy, path through the tall pines that are so typical of this region of the country.  While watching my steps carefully (because I am prone to tripping over things), I couldn't help note the beauty of the foliage.  God created this beauty here, as He has created beauty everywhere.  And for that, I shall be eternally grateful.

When we came out of the forest, we hiked up a grassy path, which looked like a narrow deer path to the top of Cascade Head, which jutted out into the ocean.  There we were met with a most spectacular view.


Looking south, we could see where the salmon river flows through a protected estuary to the sea.  Beyond the river, if you look carefully, there is a little protrusion at the top of the next outcropping of rock and trees and grass that juts out into the ocean.  The locals call that protrusion "the thumb", and that is the hike I took on my 70th birthday with my husband and my son, Billy.  It is really steep up that protrusion, but the view is well worth it.

Beyond that outcropping, in the haze, is Lincoln City.


The Salmon River is appropriately named.  Many a fisherman has caught his limit of salmon out of this river.  It is a favorite fishing river for miles inland.

I love our beautiful coast.  And I am grateful that we have such beauty to enjoy.  In many ways, man has been good to preserve these areas for us.  I had a wonderful hike with great kids and good leaders.  Even our new Bishop, Bishop Orton, came up the trail with us.  He stayed for a little while to enjoy the experience. 

I am looking forward to more discovery of our beautiful Oregon coastline and mountains sometime in the future.


No comments: