My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

And on and on it goes...

I think one of the reasons that I started this particular "journey" thing, was to review all of the moves that I have made in my life time. Now, let me see, where was I? Oh yes, I believe it was the move to Salt Lake City!

Now that was an adventure if ever we had one! We actually were there for five whole years! AND, we built our first house. We were renting a little 2-bedroom house in a nice little cul-d'sac, and I was expecting baby #3, (Debi). We knew we would need something bigger, so we started looking. We looked all over the valley with a Real Estate friend of ours (from BYU days) and got some ideas of the floor plan we liked, but we really didn't want to move from the East Bench where we were. We liked our Ward and our Bishop and had made some amazing friends.

We started asking around and found out that the owners of a huge pie-shaped lot right across the street from us might be available. And lo, and behold, we found the owner and yes, they would sell. We got it for a steal! $3500.00! It was a 1/3 acre lot. The next step was to get the plans to the floor plan that we liked and find a builder. All of that took some time, but by spring, we were ready to build!

One of the cool things about the house, was that Gerry got to use the new "blonde" brick that he had developed (found the clay and sand and developed the color) for Gladding-McBean (now Interpace Brick). It was gorgeous and there was nothing like it anywhere in the area! Our floor plan was a two complete level house with a split level entry. It had columns in the front and had they been turned columns, it would have looked like something out of the south! We had three bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a kitchen with a dining area and a living room (with a fireplace) upstairs; and in the sub-basement level, (which was unfinished for a while) were 3 more bedroom spaces, a huge family/game/storage room (also with a fireplace), a laundry room and my cousin (Vance) finished a third bathroom for us. It was 2,200 sf of wonderful space -- and we were able to build it for just over $16,000.00!
(Boy, where have those days gone?)

We had our fourth baby (JerriAnne) while we lived in that house! Gerry and I were very busy in the Church, me in the Young Women's (I did just about everything!) and he in the Elder's Quorum (he was President!) We loved to attend the Temple, go on picnics in the canyons, ski in the many ski areas, and go on vacation back to California.

Gerry sort of got tired of Interpace, and so went to night school (BYU extension) and took a Calculus class -- getting ready to apply for a Doctorate program somewhere. That class helped boost his confidence and so we started writing letters. I think we must have written letters to everywhere in the country! In the summer of 1966, we got theanswer he was waiting for and he was accepted to University of Illinois in Champaign/Urbana, Illinois. Now, we had to sell the house!

More to come...

3 comments:

Aubrey Messick said...

I love hearing these stories I've never heard before. Do you have any old pictures of the brick house? I would love to see what it looked like.

Aubrey Messick said...

I love going down memory lane too! You skipped something though - what happened after Lodi? Did Dad go to Salt Lake then for school?
I have to use Aubrey's Gmail to comment because you don't have yours set up for me to be able to comment...
Love you,
Kim

Heather said...

Oooh - I'd love pictures of that old house too. Hey, if dad was so instrumental in developing those "blond" bricks, why didn't he get a share of the, I'm sure, "fortune" that the company made off of them? Just wondered? Anyway - no matter how many times I hear the stories, I learn something new each time! I'm so glad you're writing this stuff, you know Rich and I were having a conversation the other day about leaving behind something for our grandkids to reminisce about - a sort of "legacy", I'm so glad to know where my family came from, and all the stories I have to share with my kids, I wish I had more from Dad's family.
Love you!