My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Symphony by the Sea...


I don't know whether or not any of you remember the very proper, much into Classical Music, Colonel Winchester from the "M*A*S*H" series several years ago, or not; but David Ogden Stiers now resides in Newport, OR and once each season, he guest conducts the Newport Symphony. Well, Dean and I had the privilege of going to his concert last night and I must say, it was a real treat. My favorite number in the entire program was the closing one -- Symphony in D Minor (which you are listening to) by Cesar Franck. It moved me a great deal.


The program started out with a wonderful rendition of "America The Beautiful," and I could tell by the quality of the Symphony that we were in for a real treat throughout the rest of the evening. After introductions, etc., Maestro Stiers conducted a dreamy rendition of "Four Vignettes from 'The Winter's Tale'" by Lars-Erik Larsson -- a remarkable Swedish composer.

Next on the program was "The Incredible Flutist" by Walter Piston. This is a Ballet Suite written for Orchestra and, of course, I could visualize the dancers on stage performing to such beautiful music.

Needless-to-say, because I love my music and Classical is included in a lot of what I listen to, Dean and I had a wonderful evening. Dean felt a little "homesick" for the Symphony scene, though and came home very sad because he is not participating in the Symphony any more. Maybe in time, he will be able to join THIS one and be up there on stage again! His love for music far exceeds mine. Though I love to perform, I am content to be in the audience enjoying every minute of it.

No comments: