My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Winter in the Mountains...


There is an amazing power that lies at the foot of a mountain, looking up at its magesty. Here is an amazing view of "Three Fingered Jack", so named for an early Pioneer who had only 3 fingers on one hand. This past Saturday, Dean and I took Billy to Hoodoo Ski Resort in the Cascades. It lies at the summit as you cross over Highway 126 between Salem and Redmond. It is a sweet little ski area, tucked away from all of the hub-bub of city life. I don't ski any more, but Dean attacked the mountain on ski's and Billy took to the slopes (mostly in the powder areas) on his snowboard. Me? I stayed in the lodge with a good book, some snacks and hot cider and my laptop for some cruizing of my own on the Internet!

Here are a couple of views of the early morning ski runs from my vantage point in the Lodge.








Dean got some amazing pictures on top, that I will try and include here.

Here is a beautiful view through the trees.




Dean and Billy on top, enjoying a beautiful, sunny day on the slopes.






There is nothing like a beautiful mountain view to give the spirits an uplifting feeling of "All is right with the world!" Dean loves the mountains and is so at home there.





All in all, a good time was had by all three Mickelson's. We may just come back and visit here sometime again before winter escapes and melts away into spring. I wanted to include here a little poem I wrote from something Dean said to me on the way home.

He says, "I love the mountains."
She says, "I love the sea."
He stands atop a mountain,
Surveys all that he can see.
She sits beside the seashore
And sees eternity.
Mountain or Sea?
Where, oh where shall we be?
"Come with me to the mountain,
Then I'll go with you to the Sea."

I had said to Dean, a very long time ago, "This is my ocean...how could I leave it?" And then, he said to me on our way home Saturday night, "These are my mountains!" Right here in Oregon, we have the best of both worlds. It isn't a really far drive from the ocean to the mountains, and if someday we decide to return to the mountains, it won't be a really long drive to visit the ocean. Contentment is enjoying the best of both of these places. I think I have become an Oregonian!

3 comments:

Kim Messick said...

Aren't we lucky - we have the same thing in California! It is just an hour and a half to the ski resorts and 2 minutes to the ocean! I love that I can wake up every morning and see the Pacific Ocean blessing my life! I truly do feel so blessed to live here!
I loved your poem. You are so talented!

Heather said...

I'm lucky too - I get to see dirt in every direction, oh and some dirt on hills too! There cactus and sagebrush (also known as tumbleweed)! Ugghhh, I don't love this high desert oasis, but for now it is our "home". One day we will return to the ocean and never leave!!
I loved your poem too Mom - I'm so happy that you find compromise and common ground - that's how the world should be!

ltandjbcox said...

What gorgeous mountains they have up there in Oregon.. . . . We even have Mountains here in AZ, which was news to me before we moved here. I had pictured flat desert and cactus. Boy was I wrong. I, too , once had claim to your particular piece of the Pacific coast. We lived in Astoria, OR and spent our ocean days north of Cannon Beach. It is spectacular.

I think your personal history gift is a great idea. I may have to mull that one over for some future year. Thanks for checking up on us from time to time.