My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Saying Good-bye to Barbara...


It seems like the older I get, the more opportunities come my way to say "Good-bye" to loved ones, friends and people who have touched my life along this journey. I'm sure there will be more of these opportunities coming in the future.

When Gerry and I moved to Salt Lake City in 1961 because of yet another transfer with the California based company he worked for, we only knew a handful of people there. Some of them were Gerry's roommates at BYU. Others were friends from Idaho. Me? I didn't know a soul.

One day, Gerry came home from work and said we had been invited for dinner at another couple's house who lived in Rose Park (on the northwest side of Salt Lake City). Ron Swenson worked in the office for Interpace as an Accountant and Gerry had gotten acquainted with him. That was the beginning of a 48 year friendship. Barbara was delightful! I remember how energetic she was and what a phenomenal cook! We were close to the same age and we both had two children. Sherilyn was their oldest and she was the same age as our Kim. Kent was their youngest and he was the same age as our Mark. In the years to come they became playmates whenever we visited with them or they visited with us.

Over the years, Barbara and I would spend a lot of time together, whether it was just out "shopping" (she loved to shop for the bargains!) or just visiting in each others homes so the kids could play together.

Some of my memories include working together when Barbara was the cook and organizer for the YMCA banquets. She would do all of the cooking and I would set up the tables and help serve. Clean up was a joint effort! I loved working with her -- she was so organized and an amazing cook.

Barbara was the friend who rescued me when I went into labor with my 4th child. Gerry was out of town and she took the kids so I could check myself into the hospital. She was always there to help whenever I needed a friend.

When she went into the bead business, I used to love to visit her shop and buy her beautiful beads and make necklaces and earrings. I even bought some to sell at my dad's restaurant in St. George. I still have quite a few of the beads I bought from her.

Ron and Barbara were frequent visitors to our home in California or St. George. I always loved it when she came, but always appologized for my cooking! There was no way that I could measure up to her expertise.

I shall miss my friend. It has been hard over the past several years to watch the decline in her health due to Parkinson's. Her husband, Ron has been her rock and has been there every minute of her illness. He took care of her at home, never checking her into a nursing facility to take care of her. I told him recently that I wish I could have been there to help -- if just to hold her hand and tell her how much I loved her.

There is peace in my heart now, knowing that she is in a far better place and is no longer suffering from her earthly woes. She is having a grand reunion with family and friends who have preceded her in death, including a daughter (who would be just younger than my own Debi and a little older than JerriAnne). I can smile when I picture that reunion.

Though the purpose of my visit to Salt Lake City was a sad one, I came home feeling assured that my decision to go was the right one. I so enjoyed hugging the family that I have come to love so dearly over the years and making them promise to stay in touch. Though Barbara will be missed, she will never be forgotten and I look forward to the day when I, too, can reunite with her in the forever after.

So, for now I say, Good-bye Barbara, but I will see you again!

2 comments:

Kim Messick said...

That was so sweet Mom! I remember her so well. She always had a smile on her face. That is how I will remember her now. Love you.

Heather said...

I'm glad your trip was safe and that you were able to be there to tell your friend goodbye. I love and miss you!