My life is a journey...I never know who or what I will meet just around the next bend that will give my life experience!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Oh, Johnny!


Ever since I was a senior in High School, I have had this crazy "love" for Johnny Mathis and his wonderful, smooth music. I have seen him in concert twice in my life. The first one was way back in the 60's at the Greek Theater. That was an amazing experience. Then, in the 70's Gerry took me to Lake Tahoe to see him at Harrah's. Johnny and I share the same birth month. (His birthday is the 30th, and mine is the 27th!)



Well, for my birthday present this year, my sweet husband got us tickets at the beautiful Arlene Schnitzer Auditorium in Portland for "Johnny Mathis - Returns!" It was an amazing evening, (coupled with the Oregon Symphony,) of his all-time hits and a few songs that I had never heard him sing before! He closed with a medley of songs from Brazil and an upbeat "Brazil" that was done only as Johnny Mathis can do it! (You would have loved that one, Al!)

All in all, it was a birthday present that I shall not soon forget! He sounds and looks just as wonderful as he did 51 years ago! His voice only gets better and better with "maturity!" He is and will always be my all time favorite male vocalist!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Good job Dean! Hearing Johhny Mathis takes me back to my childhood listening to his LP's on our giant console stereo in Rowland Heights!! And for some reason his voice is Christmas!! I love to listen to his Christmas albums. They make the season for me.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you guys are enjoying way too many fun, exciting things lately, but this one takes the cake!
Yes, I wish I could have heard the Brazil beats. Do you think they will be available on DVD?
Oh well, I had my turn at seeing Celine Dion live in concert at Caeser's a few years back, so I can't complain too much! Geez, I'm so old, that I even went to a Wayne Newton show decades ago!

Kim Messick said...

Hey, Mom:
Remember when we stood in this long humongous line at some Mall to get Johnny's autograph! I still have it!!! Ha! Ha! I remember thinking that was so cool that my Mom had a crush on some handsome singer! (Reminds me of some 'NSYNC crush!) What a fun birthday for you! Good one! Sorry my gift won't be as glorious - but the musical thought was behind it...Happy Birthday soon!
Love you!

Bracken and Bracken said...

In response to your comment: Mark won't get his Bar results back for another month. Its such a long and grueling wait. His job now is with the Federal Gov. so he doesn't have to pass, although he gets a raise if he does :) Keep us in your prayers!

ltandjbcox said...

Johnny Mathis, is he still around? I LOVE his music but honestly don't follow his career. I'm so happy you got to one of his concerts, again. As I read your blog it was so nice to be able to listen to his songs. . .Thanks for that.
The 911 concert sounds absolutely wonderful. We must not forget.
I sing with a little community chorale group. . .Maybe 60 or 70 of us. We are doing our Annual Fall Festival Concert on the 27th. Show tunes, Mack Wilberg's (wildly challenging folksongs), Negro spiritual. . .about an hour 1/2 at the most. I am so glad for the chance to sing . . .and to sing with a group.
When I see these photos of Billy, all grown up, I can't get the picture of him out my mind when he was visiting our place and sitting at the little kids table we had playing with our youngest girls. They really do all grow up, don't they? His music aspirations sound wonderful. I wish him great success.

You have a nice week.